Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Independence Day Cupcakes!

I've been putting off doing a first blog post for a while now... I haven't really finished any of my million projects and honestly a "first post", in my opinion, should be awesome! Especially because of my hopes and dreams that my blog will be awesome! haha

Well tonight, all my fears are gone because I have something very exciting to share with the world!!

I've been noticing a trend in cupcakes recently - it's this idea of layering colors.  I have no idea if it's new (it's probably not) but I think it's really impressive looking, especially since it doesn't really take that much extra work.

Tomorrow is the day before Independence Day and I thought since work has been especially tough during the last several weeks, I would make something special for everyone.  
I'm proud to say that I came up with this idea all on my own... not the layering part, but the independence part!

Here is my version of layered cupcakes - patriotic style!

I started out with a basic white cake mix and followed the directions exactly.
(the die-hard baker in me is cringing right now but I was seriously strapped for time!)

I then separated my batter into 3 plastic zippered bags and food-colored the crap out of them!!  I started out with 25 drops of blue and then gave up counting and just kept adding till it looked good.

Here are what my bags of batter looked like:


After you've mixed up your batter with the colors you want, snip a tiny corner off the bag and start with the first color (I started with red), then layer your next color on top, etc... keep in mind that you don't want to fill the cupcake tins more than 3/4 of the way or they won't cook evenly and will be more dome-shaped... so don't overdo it with your first couple colors and try to add them evenly.


Bake according to the directions or until a toothpick comes out clean.  
Here's how mine came out!!!


 
Aren't they just too cute?!?! I love it! 

I had extra white and blue batter so I made these:




Of course they wouldn't be "true" Independence Day cupcakes without STARS!


I hope you like my cute little creations!
 

Happy Independence Day!


I have a few projects that I'm hoping to finish,
 so please keep checking back for more posts if you liked this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment