Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

DIY: Earring Holder

For a long time, I have hated the way that I've had to store my earrings: in a mini plastic drawer thing.  Not very good when I need to throw on some jewelry quickly to get out of the house and I have to rummage through a little drawer to find 2 earrings! 

When I was younger, my best friends Dad made something like this for his wife... and I thought it was a genius idea! So I decided to make one of my own!

This is how to make your own earring holder display.

Materials needed:
Aluminium Screen (used for windows)
Good Scissors
A Picture Frame (large enough to eventually hold all of your earrings) 
Staple Gun
Hammer (optional)
Ribbon (optional)


This is the aluminum screening that I purchased from Home Depot, in case you wanted to get the same kind:


Take out the backing and glass from the frame (I picked a wood frame because I thought would be easier to use the staple gun).


Place the frame on top of the screen and use the scissors to cut it to the correct size. 


Place the cut screen on top of the frame and make sure that it doesn't overlap on the edges.  If it isn't the right size, cut it until it is correct.



I used my staple gun to secure the screen to the frame, but unfortunately it wasn't as smooth and easy as I had hoped.  I'm not sure if it was because the frame was made out of wood or if it was from something else.  




Regardless of the issue, I wasn't going to give up!  I found a hammer and just flattened them out!



I then cut a black ribbon, burned the edges a tiny bit so they wouldn't fray, and stapled them to the top of the frame.



I realized when I went to hang it up that it wouldn't work unless it was kept from touching the wall.  To fix this problem, I used small nails and hammered them into each of the corners, without putting them in all the way, so it stood off the wall about a half-inch.




Here is the finished product!  The back of it isn't the prettiest, but no one is going to see it anyway!! haha



Hope this provides some inspiration for your own jewelry projects!

Mrs. Modern

2 comments:

  1. nice, and professional looking..great job!
    i also made my own diy earring holder, please have a look at : http://whatscraftdoc.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/diy-earrings-holder.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete